“Tumaini la Maisha’’ is a Tanzanian based NGO supporting children’s cancer services in the East African country of Tanzania since 2007. We work with both the National Children’s Cancer Centre and the Tanzanian Ministry of Health.
Key Achievements in the battle against children’s cancer in Tanzania include:
- 2004 – First dedicated Children’s Cancer ward opened
- 2008 – First psychosocial support added with a children’s school and play therapy
- 2011 – Tumaini la Maisha launched by our patron, Hon Mr Ali Hassan Mwenyi (former president of Tanzania)
- 2012 – Children’s oncology moved to Muhimbili National Hospital
- 2013 – Ujasiri (Strength) Family Hostel was opened
A new custom designed oncology ward was completed.
A masters programme in paediatric haematology/oncology
- 2015 – ‘Their Lives Matter’ (sister charities to Tumaini la Maisha) in Ireland and the UK were launched
Professor Martin Corbally and his organisation Operation Childlife (OCL) has been one of the most wonderful and committed international supports to the paediatric oncology surgical service at Muhimbili National Hospital. OCL and Tumiani La Maisha have worked together on more than 8 surgical visits. These visits concentrated on complex renal hepatic pulmonary conditions. The visiting team worked hand in hand with local surgeons who have found the input enormously educational, collegiate and inspiring.
I would be delighted if Professor Corbally and OCL were in a position to expand the surgical training and education programme with the assistance of a THET grant. This will directly impact, not just all the paediatric surgical trainees at MNH: hundreds of sick children will also benefit.
Dr Trish Scanlan, CEO TLM Tanzania, Paediatric oncologist, MNH, Dar es Salaam.